Applications for the Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards are now being accepted. Supporting documents will be accepted until 5 pm Wednesday, October 18, 2023.
The Kaplen Jewish Community Center on the Palisades
The Kaplen Jewish Community Center (JCC) on the Palisades, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Tenafly (NJ), is now accepting applications for its Annual Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program. This application is open to all high school seniors who reside in Bergen County; you do not have to be a member of the JCC to win.
Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program Overview
The Joseph Taub Scholar Athlete Awards Program honors student-athletes in their senior year who demonstrate exceptional academic ability and strong leadership skills in sports, their schools, and within their communities. Whether you’re the lead scorer or the most spirited team player, we want to hear how you have taken the skills you’ve cultivated in the locker room and used them to create a powerful, positive impact on the lives of others around you. Two JCC Scholar Athletes will each receive a $10,000 college scholarship. The scholarship awards are made possible by The Joseph and Arlene Taub Foundation in memory of Joseph Taubz”l.
Embody good sportsmanship and strong moral character.
Scholar Athletes are trusted and respected members of their schools and communities. They have built strong relationships with and will leave a lasting impact on other students, administrators, and community members.
- Be passionate and committed to empowering the community in which they live. Scholar Athletes have made a significant long-term commitment to improving the lives of others.
- Be a confident and enthusiastic leader.
Scholar Athletes are role models. They are poised, honest, and passionate leaders who take on challenges for the greater good.
- Display academic excellence.
Scholar Athletes are intellectually curious, set high academic goals for themselves, and excel in their studies.
- Demonstrate the following key attributes:
- Proactive and highly motivated
- Inspiring and charismatic
- Honest and trustworthy
- Strong and Courageous
In order to be eligible for the award, the applicant must:
- Be a current high school senior
- Gain acceptance to a university/community college for the 2024 summer/fall term
- Be a current member (in good standing) of a high school sports team or be involved in after-school sports (e.g. intramurals, martial arts, etc.)
- Have maintained an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher from 9th grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Be a resident of Bergen County (NJ)
- JCC membership is not required
The Kaplen JCC on the Palisades will review all applications in coordination with the Sports Night of Champions Board and key staff members of the JCC. Awardees will be notified by November 15, 2023. Scholarship awards will be presented at the 6th Annual Sports Night of Champions event, Thursday, November 30, 2023. All applications will be kept in confidence.
(Please read all instructions carefully before proceeding)
- Completed online application form including essay described below.
- The online application has 6 sections. You do not have to complete the application all at once. Your data can be saved, and you can resume entry when you are ready. Details are included in the form.
- Personal Essay (maximum 500-word limit).
- The essay should be a personal statement resulting from soul-searching and deep deliberation.
- Please consider the following questions in your essay:
- What person or experience has made the most impact on my life?
- What community services have impacted my perspective?
- What are my present aspirations and how do I envision them in relation to my future?
- What would a scholarship from the Kaplen Jewish Community Center on the Palisades mean to me? (response required)
- Application cannot be edited once it has been submitted.
- Most recent high school transcript
- Applicant should request a guidance counselor to email their official 6-semester high school transcript Fran Koszer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application must be submitted and supporting documents must be
received by Wednesday, October 18, 2023.
For additional questions or further information, please contact Fran Koszer at 201.408.1404 or email@example.com.
SCHOLAR ATHLETE AWARD WINNERS
Jayden Ko, Tenafly High School, Duke University
Sofia Zypman, Cresskill High School, Princeton University
Sid Hamburger, Cresskill High School, University of Miami
Logan Tridel, Rutherford High School, University of Miami
Ohnyu Che, Bergen County Technical High School, Teterboro, Northwestern University
Kenneth Daici, Leonia High School, Brown University
Walter Chang, Bergen County Technical High School, Teterboro, Cornell University
Casey Lam, Northern Valley Regional High School at Demarest, Tufts University
Madison Christiana, Wood-Ridge Jr Sr High School, The University of Rhode Island
Justin Yehuda, Solomon Schechter School of Westchester, University of Maryland
Alexandra George, Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan, Drexel University
Tobias Zypman, Cresskill High School, Princeton University