Lifeguard Review Course
An abbreviated Lifeguarding course that briefly reviews course information and allows the practice of skills and knowledge before testing. Current certification in Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED is required to participate in the review course. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years. Participants must have their own CPR pocket mask.
Water Safety Instructor Course
Become an American Red Cross Swimming Instructor. The purpose of the WSI course is to equip candidates with the skills and knowledge needed to teach swim lessons for infants through adults. Candidates must attend all sessions, successfully complete all skills and practice teaching assignments and attain a minimum grade of 80% on the written exam to pass the class. Upon completion participants will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Water Safety Instructor valid for 2 years. This is a Blended Learning course combining online training with in-person skill sessions.
Lifeguard Training Course
Become a lifeguard and learn the skills you need to work in water safety as a lifeguard this summer. This course combines online training with on-site skill sessions. Course completion provides a 2-year American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguard Training/First Aid/CPR/AED.
July 29, 5:30-7pm
August 3, 4:30-8:30pm
August 4, 4:30-8:30pm
August 5, 4:30-8:30pm
August 8, 10am-2pm
August 9, 4:30-8:30pm
Please register for Pre-Test below first.
Registration for full course opens upon passing Pre-test
Please see FAQs below for Lifeguard Training Course Prerequisites
Prerequisites for Water Safety Instructor
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of training (proof of age will be required).
In addition, participants must demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills:
- Swim the following strokes consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4:
– Front Crawl – 25 yards
– Back Crawl – 25 yards
– Breaststroke – 25 yards
– Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards
– Sidestroke – 25 yards
– Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep
water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
Prerequisites for Lifeguard Training Course
How it Works:
- Approximately 7 hours online course each student can do at their own convenience before classroom & In-person sessions.
- Masks will be worn on the pool deck, and social distancing will be enforced when possible.
To successfully pass the American Red Cross Lifeguard Course, participants must pass the pre-test, demonstrate all required skills and pass the final exams with a score of 80% or higher.
There is a $100 nonrefundable administrative fee if you withdraw or do not pass the course.
- Swim 300 meter continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
-100 meters of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick.
-100 meters of breaststroke.
-100 meters of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 200 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only