Lifeguard Training Course
Become a lifeguard and learn the skills you need to work in water safety as a lifeguard this summer. This course combines online training with on-site skill sessions. Course completion provides a 2-year American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguard Training/First Aid/CPR/AED.
October/November Course Dates:
10/23, 12-1:30 pm (Pre-Test)
10/30, 12-5 pm
11/6, 12-5 pm
11/13, 12-5 pm
11/20, 12-5 pm
December Course Dates:
12/18, 12-1:30 pm (Pre-Test)
12/26, 12-5 pm
12/27, 12-5 pm
12/28, 12-5 pm
12/29, 12-5 pm
Full Course $370 Members, $440 Public
Please register for the Pre-Test first. Registration for the full course opens upon passing the Pre-test.
See FAQs below for Lifeguard Training Course Prerequisites
Lifeguard Review Course
An abbreviated Lifeguarding course that briefly reviews course information and allows the practice of skills and knowledge before testing. Current certification in Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED is required to participate in the review course. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years. Participants must have their own CPR pocket mask.
Date: Tuesday December 27, 1-9 pm
Cost: $125 members, $150 public
Lifeguard Instructor Training Course
The purpose of this American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Course is to train current lifeguards to be Certified Lifeguard instructors. Candidate must successfully complete the online portion of the Lifeguard Instructor course prior to the in-person skill session. Candidate must possess a valid certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, be at least 17 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course and successfully complete the online portion of the Lifeguarding Instructor course prior to the in-person skill session.
Monday December 26, 8 am-4 pm
Tuesday December 27, 8 am-4 pm
Wednesday December 28, 8 am-4 pm
Thursday December 29, 8 am-4 pm
Cost: $400 member, $450 public
Lifeguard Instructor Review Course
This course is for those who want to be re-certified as a Lifeguard Instructor. Candidates must possess a current certification as a Lifeguard Instructor/FIRST AID/CPR/AED in order to register. Candidate must successfully complete the online portion of the Lifeguard Instructor course prior to the in-person skill session. Participants must bring their own whistle, CPR pocket mask and hip pack to the in-person skills session.
Date: Monday August 15 & 16, 9 am- 5 pm
Cost: $175 members, $190 public
Water Safety Instructor Course
Become an American Red Cross Swimming Instructor. The purpose of the WSI course is to equip candidates with the skills and knowledge needed to teach swim lessons for infants through adults. Candidates must attend all sessions, successfully complete all skills and practice teaching assignments and attain a minimum grade of 80% on the written exam to pass the class. Upon completion participants will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Water Safety Instructor valid for 2 years. This is a Blended Learning course combining online training with in-person skill sessions.
Fall course dates TBA
Cost: $399 members, $499 public
See FAQs below for WSI Prerequisites
Rowing Swim Assessment
All rowing programs require participants to pass a swim test in order to participate in their programs. Swim tests can be scheduled at the JCC on the Palisades. Rowers should bring items required as per their swim test assessment form and the form itself. Admin fee for test applies. Please contact the Aquatics Department by email email@example.com to schedule an appointment for the swim test.
Junior Lifeguard Program
This program will help your child, ages 11-14, build a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills to become a future lifeguard. Participants will receive instruction in prevention, fitness, response, leadership, professionalism, and swimming skill development. Program will include an introduction to first aid, CPR and AED knowledge and skills. This is not a certification course to be a trained lifeguard. Participants will have to pass a pre-test in order to participate in the program.
December 26-December 29, 9am-1pm
$250 if you register by December 1
$275 after December 1
See FAQS below for Junior Lifeguard Program Prerequisites
Certified Pool Operator® Course
Taught by Mahesh Patel, certified NSPF® CPO® instructor.
This course provides individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations. Course completion provides a five-year CPO® certification.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Pass the written exam administered at the end of the course
- Book and certification are included in the course cost
Cost: $325 members / $375 public
Prerequisites for Water Safety Instructor
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of training (proof of age will be required).
In addition, participants must demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills:
- Swim the following strokes consistent with the Stroke Performance Charts, Level 4:
– Front Crawl – 25 yards
– Back Crawl – 25 yards
– Breaststroke – 25 yards
– Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards
– Sidestroke – 25 yards
– Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep
water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
Prerequisites for Lifeguard Training Course
How it Works:
- Approximately 7 hours online course each student can do at their own convenience before classroom & In-person sessions.
- Masks will be worn on the pool deck, and social distancing will be enforced when possible.
To successfully pass the American Red Cross Lifeguard Course, participants must pass the pre-test, demonstrate all required skills and pass the final exams with a score of 80% or higher.
There is a $100 nonrefundable administrative fee if you withdraw or do not pass the course.
- Swim 300 meter continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
-100 meters of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick.
-100 meters of breaststroke.
-100 meters of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 200 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke.
- Timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
Prerequisites for Junior Lifeguard Program
Before entering Junior Lifeguarding, participants must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim the front crawl for 25 meters continuously while breathing to the front or side
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 meters using a pull, breathe, kick, and glide sequence
- Complete the Water Competency Sequence
Water Competency Sequence:
- Complete the water competency sequence without stopping
- Step into the water from the side and totally submerge
- Maintain position for one minute by treading water or floating (or a combination of the two)
- Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit
- Level off and swim on the front or back 25 years
- Exit without using a ladder or steps