Thurnauer Chamber Music Workshop
Francesca Silos, Director
Experience the joys of ensemble playing in an atmosphere of success and enjoyment!
Designed for intermediate and advanced pianists and string players, selected by audition, interviews and recommendations, the workshop offers a week of in-depth coaching and rehearsals culminating in a performance.
Monday, August 15 – Friday, August 19, 2022 9:30 am – 3:00 pm
Faculty to include violist Francesca Silos (former long-time member of the Colorado Quartet), pianist Steven Masi (former member, Bonn Chamber Music Society, Odyssey Chamber Players, and the Leonore Trio), and cellist Sam Bae (Juilliard alum).
Tuition until June 15: $625 JCC members/$700 public
June 16 – July 31: $675 JCC members/$750 public
After Aug 1: $775 JCC members/$850 public
FluteStars® Summer Intensive
Noelle Perrin-Bryson, Director
Sunday, Aug 21 – Tuesday, Aug 23 12:00 – 4:30 pm
The FluteStars® Summer Intensive is a 3-day workshop for intermediate to advanced flutists ages 7-18. All participants will enjoy daily masterclass-style lessons with a professional flute teacher and a piano accompanist. Additional large ensemble rehearsals provide students the opportunity to make music together. Flutists are required to learn one solo piece which will be further polished during the workshop. Emphasis will be on developing musical expression, beautiful tone, and refined technique. The rehearsal schedule is mixed with free time for socializing, swimming and recreation. This exciting workshop culminates with a celebratory concert in which flutists perform their polished solos and group music on stage for family and friends.
Please direct inquiries to Noelle Perrin-Bryson at email@example.com.
Workshop director Noelle Perrin-Bryson is head of the Flute Program at the JCC Thurnauer School of Music and founder of the FluteStars® Summer Intensive, now in its 29th year of success. Ms. Perrin is a certified Teacher Trainer for the Suzuki Association of the Americas as well as the Asian Region Suzuki Organization. She has extensive formal teaching experience as well as Dalcroze, Suzuki, and Montessori training. She holds a master’s degree from Manhattan School of Music.
For intermediate and advanced flutists.
$270 JCC Members/$300 Public
One-on-one in-person and virtual lessons are available in all instruments for classical and jazz musicians – piano, guitar, strings, winds, brass, and percussion – as well as voice, theory/ear training, and composition. Whether you are a beginner looking to start a new experience or an advanced student, we have a teacher who is right for you. Students can take one or more 30 minute, 45 minute, or 60 minute lessons. Tuition is based on the number and length of the lessons. Scheduling of summer lessons is flexible to accommodate the summer plans both for you and your teacher. Summer lessons can be scheduled through the end of September.
Students who are currently enrolled at the JCC Thurnauer School of Music should contact the main office to enroll. Students who are not current students, complete this form and mention summer lessons.
Why should my child study music?
- In addition to the enormous personal enjoyment music brings, music study helps children learn how to learn.
- Attending lessons and practicing an instrument each day teaches focus, concentration, patience, critical thinking and reflection – skills we use throughout our lives.
- Studies have shown that “students engaged in music programs outperformed their peers on every indicator: grade-point average, graduation rate, Act scores, attendance and discipline referrals.”
- KU research establishes link between music education and academic achievement.
Why should my child study at the JCC Thurnauer School of Music?
- A school environment creates a community of musicians who inspire, motivate and befriend each other.
- Students benefit musically and psychologically from the expertise of our excellent faculty, the School’s warm, nurturing atmosphere and the experience of hearing other students make music at different levels of musical development.
- The Thurnauer School offers a stimulating variety of classes, performances, workshops, and recital opportunities.
Can my child just take private lessons at the Thurnauer School?
- As an introduction to learning an instrument, students can take just a private lesson, but only during their first year at the school. Thereafter, all students must take one or more components as part of their music program.
- Making music with others quickens the pace of learning and accomplishment. We also find that students have fun in these classes and that this is not only enriching but also highly motivational to them.
- Children in a full program of music study are “stretched”, musically and intellectually, as they learn new things and exchange musical and verbal ideas with their peers.
- A program that is limited to private lessons lacks the richness of learning about music. The more we understand, the more joy there is in playing and listening.
When should my child begin the study of music?
- Learning about music can begin at birth. However, the best age to start an instrument varies with the instrument and the child’s physical development. For example, violinists and flutists can begin as young as 3, whereas trumpet players should be at least 8.
- Our classes for young children stand on their own, but they are also developmental and will introduce skills to help your child with further musical study if it’s desired. “Developmental” also means dynamic; each week builds on the previous lesson.
How should we help our child select an instrument?
- The choice of instrument depends on the child’s interests, temperament and size. Most children have a natural affinity for a particular instrument or sound and, if given the chance to choose, will know what they like.
- We encourage sitting in on lessons and classes at our School. Please contact our scheduling director to arrange for a visit or a trial lesson: 201-567-7900 Ext. 375 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attending professional concerts and student recitals with your child can also spark interest in a particular instrument. Children are welcome to attend any of our student recitals.
How do we select an instrumental teacher for your child?
At the Thurnauer School, a great deal of care is given to finding the best “match” from among our fine faculty. Music School Director Dorothy Roffman meets individually with each new student and parent(s) prior to enrollment, observing the child and learning about the family before assigning a teacher.
What is the registration process for new students?
The process is all handled online. It includes completing the registration form, enrolling in your choice of lessons and class, completing the scheduling forms, submitting a tuition deposit and, if you are enrolling in a private lesson program, scheduling a meeting with the Music School Director.
Do I need to register for the entire year?
With the exception of some early childhood classes, our curriculum is designed as a full, 30 week program. That said, you can withdraw within the first five weeks of classes for a prorated tuition and a $75 processing charge. Thereafter, partial refunds are available as stipulated in our Terms and Conditions.
Does the Music School offer a payment plan?
Yes. You can set up an eight month payment plan that withdraws funds from your bank account or charges your credit card automatically each month.
Does the Music School offer Financial Aid?
Yes. The Music School has a number of endowed funds earmarked for this purpose, and over 15%of our students receive some form of tuition scholarship. Scholarship forms are available online, or you may request one from the Financial Manager, Dan Jatovsky at email@example.com.
Are discounts available?
Yes. The following discounts are available for you and your family to enjoy the gift of music.
SAVE $25 off total tuition for a class or performance ensemble (if not part of a Private Lesson Program) SAVE $90 off total tuition for a Private Lesson Program
Refer a Friend Discount
Refer a new family who registers for private music lessons and you both get $100 OFF TUITION