Health & Wellness
Jewish & Israeli life
All children must be swim-tested before enrolling in a class unless they hold a Red Cross card indicating their current level. If your child is at a higher level for his/her age they may join the older class. Swim caps required.
Keep track of your child’s progress with The American Red Cross Swim App! Designed to complement the JCC swim programs, the app allows your child to stay motivated and progress to their next level. Additionally, it delivers water safety information that can help keep your family safe in and around the water.
Stroke development. Breaststroke and side stroke are introduced. The child must be able to swim 25m front crawl and back stroke. 1:6 Instructor/Student ratio.
Stroke refinement. Coordination and refinement of strokes are developed. Butterfly stroke is introduced.
1:6 Instructor/Student Ratio
Skill proficiency. Strokes learned in previous levels are polished; and endurance is stressed. Includes fun water activities.
1:7 Instructor/Student ratio
Ages 15+Become a lifeguard and learn the skills you need to work in water safety as a lifeguard this summer. This course combines online training with on-site skill sessions. Course completion provides a 2-year American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguard Training/First Aid/CPR/AED. Participants must attend ALL classes. Course is non-refundable.
Pre-test Requirements:1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order: -100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick.-100 yards of breaststroke.-100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 200 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke
2. Timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using legs onlyDecember Pre-test dates: Su 11/24 OR 12/8, 4pm, $10December Course dates: Su 12/22 2p-7pm, Mon 12/23 2p-7pm, Fri 12/27 11a-4pm, Su 12/29 2-7pm, Mon 12/30 11a-1pm $350/$425
This program will help your child, ages 11-14, build a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills to become a future lifeguard. Participants will receive instruction in prevention, fitness, response, leadership, professionalism, and swimming skill development. Program will include an introduction to first aid, CPR and AED knowledge and skills. This is not a certification course to be a trained lifeguard. Participants will have to pass a pre-test on Sunday January 5th to enter into the program.
The Pre-test requirement:
1. Swim Front Crawl 25 yards continuously while breathing to front or side
2. Swim Breaststroke 25 yards using a pull breathe, kick, glide sequence
3. Complete water competency sequence: